It’s Saturday and I was in the library the whole day. Library? Yes library on Saturday…I have to, I really have to write my Master thesis and it’s going sooo slow. Really slow. That is the reason I go out of the house to the library even on Saturdays because there I at least do half of the stuff I wouldn’t do at home. But that’s not really the topic of my today’s post – that are Healthy snacks!
Eating healthy is especially hard when you are studying, writing a thesis or just working everyday and you are sourrounded with those vending machines that sell ‘amazingly good healthy chocolate bars’ or with your co-workers that munch on those baked goods from the nearby bakery.
Don’t be fooled! You can do it! Just be prepared or have in mind some of the options I’m going to show you today. It’s really not so difficult to substitute that piece of croissant with a healthy snack as long as you have something on the reach of your hand that is definately better and more filling that maybe a piece of chocolate bar.
You probably know everything I’m going to talk about but maybe you just have to be reminded – I am not discovering hot water here.
Some of my favourites are:
- It can satisfy your sweet tooth, be as a dessert after lunch or a quick snack before workout. I tend to eat it for my breakfast or for my morning snack and maybe ‘avoid’ it in the afternoon or evening, if I don’t have maybe a workout planed. Then I can grab a banana and of I go.
- Options are numerous of course! Apples, persimmons, peaches, oranges…
- Just have in mind – the fruit has to be at least in season! So it’s fresh and not those weird fruits that you know they should not be on the shelves or they ‘travelled’ from freaking Zimbabwe – no offense but that certainly is not fresh! So seasonal fruit it is! As close as it can be…
- If you want to have those with low glycemic index then choose any sort of berries!
- Hazelnuts, peanuts, walnuts, cashews anything that is similar is great! A handfull of nuts and you’re good to go.
- Healthy snack full of healthy fats that will keep you full.
3. Cottage Cheese / Quark / Greek Yogurt
This option usually contains combination with fruit but with a protein kick. Cottage cheese is a great source of protein but because some of you are not very fond to eat it by itself you can add various options:
- Fruit with cottage cheese / quark / greek yogurt
- You can also mix a natural yogurt and add whey protein if you like some taste to it.
- Options here are endless.
- If you like the taste you can eat only cottage cheese itself or then a better option is greek yogurt– I tend to do that before bedtime. In that case I don’t add fruit or anything – maybe some goji berries, mulberries or cacao nibs.
- For morning snack I go for cottage cheese and fruit + you can add honey, cinnamon – be creative! Perfect combiantion! Well at least for me. Some of my friends cannot taste the cottage cheese alone, but I don’t have that problem. I found the perfect one just recently – from Lidl / Aldi – quark – more thicker consistency and better taste for me at least. If not sth like this will do. You can also blend your fruit with cottage cheese, add some water and you won’t feel a thing!
4. Protein bars
- A great quick snack on the go when you don’t have time to prepare or sit down and eat. Or just have them as a dessert – I love Quest ones.
5. Whey protein powder
- Again if you don’t have time, just mix some whey, with some fruits (banana, pineapple, strawberries), Peanut Butter and you have a healthy, easy and simple snack on the go.
6. Edamame – soy beans
- These beans are hard to get here in Slovenia, well at least I don’t know where to get them – I only got frozen ones and I liked them but don’t know if they were the ‘right’ thing. They should had a larger percantage of protein in them!
7. Water and Green tea!
- Ok this is not a snack but they should go hand in hand with a snack.
- I always have a bigger bottle of water besides me when I work and a smaller one in my purse – these Voss bottles are perfect because they are from glass
- Green tea – well we all know the benefits of green tea, if not these are just a few: increases your metabolism, reduces bloating, full of antioxidants, you can use it instead of coffee.
- I buy mine at our local tea shop! Vanilla, Mango, Wild cherry? Yes please!
8. Peanut butter
- Of course how can I forget my peanut butter or basically any kind of nut butter – almond, cashew.
- I have a weird combination – PB + carrots! Amazing, or a bit normal one apple + PB – again amazing.
9. Frozen fruit + cottage cheese
- Mix your frozen fruit and your cottage cheese – and you’ll get ice cream consistency kind of snack!! Perfect for those summers when you want ice cream but make this instead!
- Spelt, wholewheat bread or toast, with avocado, deli turkey or chicken breast, a bit of lettuce or spinach and you are definately going to be full until lunch.
- I know, Coffee is not food, it’s not a snack but I often have it as a part of my snack.
- Still don’t know where the best coffee in Ljubljana is sold? Khm – hello where you’ve been? Cafetino of course…small coffee shop in Old town of Ljubljana– ok I admit I work there sometimes during some weekends but that is not the reason for this mentioning! They really have the best coffee and the most importantly you can choose your coffee, buy it, grind it and drink it right at home. Hint? Vanilla organic, Cinnamon-hazelnut or Java are perfect!
So the variations are endless! Just remember: some protein + healthy fats + some complex carbs and you are good to go. Vitamin boost from the fruits and caffeine from the coffee and my thesis will be written in no time – ok I am exaggerating but still – I can have wishes.
Hope you got a few ideas you can use them when you’ll have a dillema what to snack – a Corny bar or fruit + cottage cheese. The latter sounds weird but I assure you it will be better for you.