I cook my lunches most of the time, well I try to prepare my food myself most of the time. Why? Is it time consuming? Firstly I do this because I enjoy it – really, secondly it is because in that case I know what I’m eating, which ingredients are in and most importantly which are not. And no it’s not time consuming if you enjoy doing it. I am not vegan, vegetarian or anything. I eat everything even tough I am trying try to back down on milk as such and change it for something else (still eating most diary products).
Enough of rambling, today I made myself a low carb lunch. Low carb ?
Yup, and it was delicious and yes it was insanely filling. I made a sort of zucchini noodles, well they were wide zucchini spaghettis we could say because I don’t have a proper peeler – yet! The lunch is perfect on days that you maybe crave pasta but not so much of those heavy meals kind of pasta. Here come in the veggies. People really underestimate the power of vegetables and healthy fats I think. Of course the number of people that are conscious about it is growing but at least where I live (Slovenia remember ;)) I think there is a slow progress. Nevertheless we, who love veggies can prepare this amazing lunch.
Ingredients: serves one*
- 1/2 large zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-2 C of spinach
- 1 small can of tuna
- 2 TBS of regular or greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 avocado
- dash of low fat feta cheese
- 1 TBS of sweet corn
*yes I mostly cook just for myself that is why probably every one of my everyday recipes will be measured for one – but hey it is easier to double the portions than to calculate how much you need just for one 🙂
- Peel the zucchini with a julienne peeler if you have it or with a normal potato peeler. I just did it carefully with a knife. Do the same with carrots.
- Chop the onion, garlic and wash the spinach.
- Slightly toast the onion, garlic and toss the zucchini on a pan. Cover the pan so the zucchini softens. It takes 5 minutes max.
- Take the zucchini noodles from the pan to a plate and put some spinach leaves and peeled carrot on some coconut oil to soften everything up. Add tuna, sweet corn and yogurt, season as desired and top the mixture on to the zucchini noodles.
- I wanted an extra push of proteins and fats so I fried and egg and placed it on a plate.
- If desired sprinkle some low fat feta cheese and 1/4 of avocado.
I did have some extra lettuce and rucola on the side as a salad.
No it’s not over, just wanted to share what I ate for desert. Normally I take a piece of 92% dark Vivani chocolate! Amazing! Today I mixed that piece with some Grancereale cookie, yogurt and topped it with dried mulberries and coconut flakes.
That’s it. That is how you get a healthy, simple and clean lunch.